Technology for electronic devices keeps on changing every minute, theoretically. Updates and upgrades are the only reasons tech companies don’t dominate a market complacently for long enough before getting usurped. Television sets keep on getting so good tech-wise that we think that they couldn’t get any more modern and any more improved, but then, they do.
In fact, the upgrades come pretty fast that sometimes, people lack the interest to keep up with the tech terms and simply rely on traders to update them with the newest brands. Sadly, since some devices become obsolete as they grow irrelevant or get outdated, you cannot afford to stay completely oblivious of these things if you want to buy a new television in 2017.
You might go having a certain device that was great two years ago, only to purchase a device that is outdated and facing the risk of getting phased out. This article will keep you updated by simplifying some terms that might be used to confuse you into buying old bargain television sets, but before that, you need to have some ground rules in mind;
- Do not purchase second-hand devices at all costs, no matter how sweet the deal is. Dirty deals are always sweet, but just like cons, they are good on paper and terrible in real life. Stay away from second-hand deals.
- Make your purchase from reputable outlets, especially those recommended by companies from which you would like to buy your television.
- Always prefer future-proof devices. If you come across the term in a choice situation, pick the choice with this term.
First of all, evaluate yourself, the people with whom you are likely to be watching the television with and the room in which you will set the television. One key thing to understand is, you should determine for whom you would like to buy the TV set and how many they are. Also, your budget will be very key in the journey to deciding upon which device to settle.
The room size and interior decor determine what resolution the television should have and the size as well. People have a misguided notion that the bigger the television is, the better. The notion is only true up to the 65-inch mark which would draw undesirable results for people living in small rooms. It would also cost them unnecessary extra costs to have TVs sets which are too big for their rooms. It could also cause strain since the eye cannot focus on large surfaces from a small distance. Also, big screens in small rooms could take away from an interior decors complementary look. The sweet spot for a TV set size to be set in a regular sized room is 65 inches, but it could be smaller if the budget for the large size is out of reach.
To choose, mainly consider the following fundamental TV set aspects;
- TV type
- Screen resolution
- Additional features
Also, before going into the details on the above aspects, note these few TV buying hacks if you could be in a hurry and cannot afford the time for a tech class;
- Plasma TVs are outdated. Full HD 1080p TVs are much better than 720p LED TVs. 4K resolution TVs are the most future proof TVs. However, Full HD 1080p TVS are the most common modern TVs in 2017.
- The average 2017 prices for sweet spot 4K TVs ranges above 600 dollars.
- For ultra-modern sets, prefer devices that support both Dolby Vision and HDR.
- LED LCD sets are great, but OLED sets are greater, at an extra cost.
- Most companies and brands are never accurate with the contrast ratios they provide. Test with your eyes.
- Do not buy sets that have less than four HDMI ports.
- Curved TVs ill cost you more than other TVs with the same specifications. They do not make the viewing experience any better and are only a technologically vain and costly fashion statement.
- Do not be fooled into thinking smart TVs are special or worth a fuss. They are a basic future proof feature that a 2017 TV set purchase bargain shouldn’t lack. If it is not a smart TV, leave it for the outdated.
- Modern TV sets are too slim to have reliable speakers. Budget to complement the new set of external speakers. Therefore, ensure the TV set has one of the best qualities of Bluetooth installed.
- Extended bargains are not a bargain, but a mere are reap off. Most traders make so much profit from clients who pay for extended warranties. Normally, if the TV set you buy is faulty, it will barely last month. Otherwise, good quality TV sets are so durable and long-lasting that even their light emitting diodes are shock proof.
- Do not purchase a TV set that features a refresh rate that is less than 120Hz.
Do Not Be Confused By the Following TV Contrast Terms
Really good television sets should have excellent resolution and should provide a wide range of colors. These two, color and resolution, characterize image contrast and sharpness respectively. Terms that define a television screen’s resolution tech include; OLED, LED, QLED and ULED.
OLEDs are an upgrade of LEDs. While OLEDs create contrast by increasing the darkness quality and making images seem clearer, QLEDs do that deter but fall short of making images as clear as OLEDs when images move very quickly. Therefore, sports fans may prefer OLEDs while movie and drama fans may prefer QLEDs better.
How Room Size Could Determine the Ideal TV Set Resolution
You should not sit too close to your TV set to the extent that you can see its pixels. 4K Ultra HD sets can allow you to sit twice as close as Full HD sets. Therefore, a person with a bigger house than you have a more eye-health liberty to purchase a less future proof set than you. However, if that person can afford to buy the 4K Ultra HD set, then they also should enjoy the enhanced sharpness than makes the images more lifelike.